Bring on the Rain ~ Luck is for the Dogs!

Posted by Brooke at 9:49 AM

Friday, April 17, 2009

This weekend, in North Texas, it is going to rain. A lot. And why am I playing weather girl for you? Well let me tell you: I work with a ton of wedding vendors who are preparing for a rainy weekend of work while couples all over this Lone Star State celebrate their day of nuptials. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard these vendors say- well rain is supposed to bring luck to the marriage. Hogwash!

Here is the deal oh young lovers- marriage is not about luck. Sorry, but that is the God-honest truth. Marriage is about two people making a firm decision to make it work: NO. MATTER. WHAT. It is making a commitment to the institution of marriage and what it supposed to mean for the rest of your lives. THE REST OF YOUR LIVES!!!!

Now abuse and other tragic situations aside, everyone needs to look at the decision to marry as a very serious one. I did not, and I almost lost mine. But thank goodness I had someone tell me exactly what I am saying to all of you. Marriage is for life. And that is not a death sentence either for all you cynics out there. There should not be this "Starter Marriage" mentality. Because when you stay married to the person you said you would stay married to, the blessings are amazing!
Not the luck, but the blessings that hard work and commitment bring make your marriage great.

By staying with one person I have learned to forgive and be forgiven on a level that cannot be compared by any other relationship on earth. To be loved and known as I am by my husband is the greatest thing, aside from my relationship with God, that I have ever known. It makes me walk proud and feel confident. I can be fully woman and fully myself with this man. This did not happen on our wedding day. Heck- it did not happen after 3 years of marriage! It happened after times got tough, and then got tougher, and then we worked through it. Now we are on the other side and we have a depth that is found no where else. It is a depth that allows both of us to go through our days content with one another and at peace that neither of of will ditch the other when times are rough. It also has allowed us to laugh deeper and relax more- in each other.
That is what happens in a healthy marriage. Not because we got lucky, but because we have made this our top priority.

And as a side note, it was sunny as ever on my wedding day- and 90 degrees outside!

- The Working Wife

0 comments: