Good Things are Never Easy

Posted by Brooke at 8:54 AM

Monday, April 27, 2009

The hardest and yet the best thing I have ever done in my life…getting married and staying married.

We are always so excited for a couple getting married. We remember those feelings of love from our years of long ago. Or should I say from my years of long ago. My husband and I have been married for 26 years, yet he is quick to remind me it is almost 27, even though it is 6 months away.

I have to say I was like most couples getting married, I was in love and could never imagine life being anything but blissful. I was married at the tender age of 18 and of course was extremely mature for my age (yeah right!) Maybe in some things, but not in the reality of what it really meant “to always love and cherish.” We were not fortunate to have the access to marriage education. WOW what a difference that would have made.

All that being said I couldn’t imagine not marrying my wonderful husband. We have had our tough times and we have had our good times. The one thing that he told me when we got married was “divorce is not an option” and while there were many times that that seemed like the easier option, looking back it was the work we put into our marriage that was definitely the better option.

- The Married Mom

1 comments:

Erin Kincaid said...

I totally agree Married Mom. I have had so many ups and downs with my hubby that it is hard to remember all that my hubby and I have been through. But i think what most people fail to realize is that if you work through those times, the good times get even better! I have been married for 10 years now and we really have come to place where we enjoy each other to the fullest. There is lots of laughter, flirting and even silliness that is reminiscent of my younger years! It think that this point in our relationship is here because we have spent enough time in this relationship. We have gotten here due only to time. And the fun times are much deeper now- maybe its because we have no reservations with one another anymore and that there is nothing to hide or hold back? Maybe it's because we have seen one another at our very worst and so to see one another at our most relaxed- and best- is a mutual and unspoken desire? Who really knows? All I can be sure about is that had I thrown in the towel all the times I was tempted to do so, I would not be here now, and that I think would be the saddest thing in my life.